Thursday, January 9, 2014

Life Lessons: Letting Friends Back into Your Life...

Movie Still, Assbackwards, 2013 
A movie about two best friends on a journey to a beauty pageant reunion.

The day I tossed up my graduation cap at my high school graduation in June 2003 I knew my life would never be the same. Out of all the words of wisdom I was given that day and days going forward about life after high school, one tidbit struck a cord in me and almost 11 years later it is still relevant. 

"You will find out your true friends when study hall is over." 

Oh, how true that lil statement is and will always be. In the test of time, I'm only friends with 2 people I went to high school with & by friends I mean talk to on a monthly basis & meet every once and while for dinner. That number used to be 1 until recently. Somehow in the past year I re-became friends with my old friend Julie who let's just say has burnt a lot of bridges with me and I'm not sure I'm okay with letting her back in my life.

It would take tons of blogposts to explain the past 17 years of my friendship with Julie. I met her my first day of 6th grade in September 1996 at a new school and known her ever since. She is one of the few people that has been there for it all, all my life's ups & downs and let's just say she has chosen to not be the best friend she claimed to be. No one is a perfect friend but some of the things that has happened it's just common sense. I can't tell you how many times she's said to me, "I'm sorry I just didn't think." It's okay when your 15, 19, 22, or even 24, but at some point you have to grow up. 

Movie Still, Assbackwards, 2013 

I wish I could say that Julie has grown up at 28 years old, but I don't know. We met for dinner tonight and it was honestly fun. We reminisced about old times, talked about our families because we both all everyone's dirt, drama, TV Shows, and our futures. It felt good to have someone to talk to who knows me, the real me. But like I said, some of things that have happened between us are very hard to forgive. It's hard to push those grudge feelings aside. I did tonight, but on the car ride home it rushed back. 

I think I'm going to let her reach out to me for the next time we will hang out. If I put the ball in her court, then I'll know if she wants to make a real effort to be my friend again. I think...

Have You Ever had a Friend Come Back into Your Life?
How did it go? Where you able to let bygones be bygones?
Was that old grudge lifted? 

I'd love to hear...

Movie Still, Assbackwards, 2013 

1 comment:

  1. i have let friends back into my life but i can never trust them again...so although i don't NOT talk to them, i also don't talk to them like i used to ie. i wouldn't call them up just to hang or tell them my deep dark secrets. we are friends as in if we're in a group, we chat and have fun with every body else but we dont have to be besties again and i'm good with that. i only disclose private information to those i trust - which are only like, all of 3 people.

    so why not let her into your life? it doesn't mean you have to be best friends but just a friend to have some light conversations with and some fun. ain't nothing wrong with that

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete

Hello Everyone! Thanks for taking a second to comment! You can also follow me on Bloglovin! Ergo - Bloglovin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...