Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My First Job - #BEDM

Piano scene in the movie, Big, 1988

I love when people ask me this question! Today's entry in #Blog Every Day in May from Rosalilium is to Tell about your First Job. To this day it has still been my favorite job. When I was 14 I worked at a toy store called The Toy Box in my  town that was designed to bring FAO Schwartz to a small town in the New York suburbs. With movies like Big and Home Alone 2 playing on repeat when I was younger, I used to pass the toy store in the town stating that I would one day work there. The school year after I turned 14 in August I marched my lil self into my school's office and got my working papers. Within that week I had a job. =)

I was too young to work the registers, so I was always on the sales floor. It was a dream to give lil kids Thomas the tank engine toys, American Girl doll clothes, Madame Alexander dolls, Toy Story 2 dolls,  and lil doll house kits that once a lil girl saw them they had to have them. I learned so much about people's body language  back then and honestly I still use those skills to read people. If a father came in with his hands in his pockets he was NOT going to buy anything. When a woman came in and let the kids roam free with her wallet in her hand, money was no question, and the kid could have whatever they retrieved. 

I even remember a lil girl once stole a lil stuffed animal kitten. I saw her stick in her coat after her mother had told her no toy today because it was near her birthday and she admitted to me that she was feeling out what toys her daughter went to and would be back. Little 14 year old me felt like such a bitch to tell my boss that they lil girl stuffed the lil toy into her coat. But I did. The mother turned so red she almost walked right out of the store, but the lil girl actually went up to her mother and confessed. It was awesome!

The toy store is actually still open and I always smile when I pass it by. It was fun, ever so much fun to work there! =)

What Was Your First Job? 
I'd love to hear! =)

Follow on Bloglovin

13 comments:

  1. My first job was when I was 13 and I worked as an office assistant for a YMCA. I had been going to that Y since I was 4 and my grandmother was the Executive Assistant so I had no problems getting a job. I learned a lot and I definitely keep some of the skills I learned even to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i worked in a theater at my local mall! i worked the popcorn stand and the cash. it was ok but now that i think of it, we never got any perks (ie. free movies!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my first job was a lifeguard...but yours definitely sounds more fun :)

    Molly {Dreams in HD}
    http://dreamsinhd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first job was in the mens department at JCPenney. Which you would think would be awesome, except that I only ever met old men or women shopping for their husbands or sons. No cute guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool! I used to babysit when I was younger but I also worked in a café years ago -but only on weekends:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great first job! <3

    My first job was at a farm market. I'd wash cherries, sort peaches and pears and scoop ice cream. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favourite things in New York was going to the toy store featured in Big! I was sooo excited, it was ridiculous. I don't remember what my first dream job was...I think something like being my mom!

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had fun at your first job :) mine was also sales, in a fashion store.
    Btw would you like to follow each other on GFC and Bloglovin?
    Just let me know :)


    xx
    Tali
    www.RockMyHeels.com
    Visit the RmH SHOP

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first job started as being a freelancer & when I got into senior year of school , I was enrolled in Comp science so I ended up being a graphic designer :)
    Noor @ Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first job was at a Chick Fil A when I was 15. I hated it... One time I even threw this bitchy ladies change back at her, lol. Needless to say I quite after a few months. Your first job (and your attitude) sound much cooler than mine.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Everyone! Thanks for taking a second to comment! You can also follow me on Bloglovin! Ergo - Bloglovin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...