Captain Planet Cartoon - Originally Aired (1990-1996)
There are tons of posts about people saying how they wished they lived in this or that time...but frankly I'm ever so glad to have been born in 1985 because we had some SERIOUSLY AMAZING cartoons by the time I was of age to really understand what I was watching. One such show was Captain planet. You know the show with the the Planeteers that screamed "Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, and Heart" and then the blue guy with the 80's haircut showed up flying through the air? Yeah that cheesy cartoon that was always on...Well I have to thank the creators of the show for showing lil 5 year old me how important the environment is to us. Oh yes and the movie, Ferngully too. Mustn't forget Ferngully with Robin Williams as Batty & Tim Curry as the Nexus. I was just too young to understand the importance of the Batty Rap...but now I do. Oh and the Saved the by the Bell episode with the oil spill...
What I'm trying to say is that the environment is the most important gift that the world has given us. Without being preachy, I try to be green whenever I can and there is so many simple ways to be green that you don't even have to think about because they are so easy.
1. Do Not Buy Styrofoam Whenever You Can
- I always buy paper plates and paper cups
- I switched to Keurig so I didn't have to go to out for coffee everyday & Not have another Styrofoam cup.
- I use re-useable mugs and glasses at work.
2. DO NOT LITTER...
- Everyday I always get a red light right at my job and it's sad to see the grass near the exit is peppered with trash. It's disgusting and so unnecessary. Wait the few more minutes until your at a trash can. Come on, you know you can wait.
3. ALWAYS Cut up the Circular Plastic Holder for a 6 pack Cans of Soda
- When I was younger this was drilled into my head every time someone mentioned being green. It's real easy. Just use a scissors. It takes you 30 seconds Tops!
4. At Work, Have a Recycle Bin & Use It!
My container is blue...What color is yours?
5. Public Transportation
- In the summer I try to use public transportation and walk where I can. =)
6. Look for "No Animal Testing" On Labels
- There are many popular sites, for example The Body Shop, that take pride in their cruelty-free products. It's a very valuable label to have.
7. REUSE Product Bottles when You can...
8. USE RE-USEABLE BAGS AT THE SUPERMARKETS
- Or if you literally have 1-2 items, forego the plastic bag all together.